The Sylva Garden Club is a non-profit, educational, and philanthropic organization open to all who have an interest in gardening. A “green” thumb is not required. Annual membership dues are $25.00.
Officers for 2019 – 2021 are:
- President Barb Burrey
- First Vice-President Mary Anne Asbury
- Second Vice-President Polly Davis
- Secretary Carol Schilling
- Treasurer Betsey Hamlet
- To provide a non-profit, philanthropic, and educational association for members
- To promote the knowledge of wild and domestic flora and fauna
- To assist in the beautification of private and public grounds
- To encourage young people to pursue careers in horticulture, botany, and landscape design
- To encourage environmental improvements through civic development, beautification, restoration, and the protection of our natural resources
- To support, as an affiliate, the programs of The Garden Club of North Carolina, Inc. and the National Garden Club, Inc.
Main fundraisers for yearly scholarships (one to a student attending Western Carolina University and one to a student attending Southwestern Community College) and Sylva beautification projects include pecan sales, a Christmas Tea, and plant sales at the Greening Up the Mountains festival.
The Sylva Garden Club currently maintains:
- Mill Street Park Butterfly Garden and beds
- Bicentennial Park
- Cradles on the bridges
- Planters on Main Street and at Mill Street Park
- Children’s Gardens at Poteet Park
- Little Free Library at Poteet Park
Members provide monthly birthday bouquets to the Jackson County Meals on Wheels program and are involved with the Appalachian Women’s Museum and the Jackson County School of Alternatives Horticulture Program.
The Sylva Garden Club meets the first Tuesday of each month September through May except January. Meetings are held at the Sylva Presbyterian Church. Following the business meeting is a local guest speaker. Topics are varied. Refreshments are served!
Come learn about gardening and participate in the Club’s various projects!
You must be logged in to post a comment.